Don’t forget to tune in tomorrow, Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 6:30 AM on both 99.1 WPLR and 95.9 the Fox or you can watch it on Chaz and AJ TV at http://www.wplr.com/ChazandAJTV.aspx. I will be bringing along my Bacon Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese!
If you can’t tune in, don’t worry, I am posting the recipe below!
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 cups milk
2 or 3 sprigs thyme
3 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup smoked cheddar, shredded
1 1/2 cup pepper jack, shredded
2 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
Freshly ground black pepper
6 slices THICK CUT bacon
1 cup seasoned bread crumb
- First thing is to pan cook your bacon starting in a COLD pan so as to render the fat from the bacon. Once the bacon is complete, put the pan with the rendered bacon fat to the side and chop bacon.
- While bacon is cooking, bring pot of water to a boil and salt with 1 tbs of kosher salt. Whisk until salt is dissolved and slightly reduce heat.
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil pasta to just under a nice al dente (about 6 mintues). DO NOT OVERCOOK as pasta will continue to cook in oven. Drain and set aside.
- While Pasta is boiling it is time to make the sauce. First, on hot stove, make a simple roux by taking 1 tbs of rendered bacon fat and 2 tbs of butter, melt in sauce pot, once melted add 3 tbs of flour and whisk to combine.
- Add and sautee smashed garlic and chopped jalapenos. Continue to whisk for 1-2 minutes.
- Immediately add 4 cups of milk, continuing to whisk as milk heats to a simmer.
- Add shredded cheese (not the parmesan), continuing to mix until cheese is fully incorporated into sauce.
- Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- In a casserole dish combine pasta, chopped bacon, and most of remaining bacon fat (leave a little in the pan).
- Pour sauce over pasta and mix, making sure sauce is equally distributed throughout pasta.
- Add generous sprinkle of Old Bay Seasoning and mix again.
- In the pan with the remaining bacon fat, over medium-low heat, toast breadcrumbs and shred parmesan into toasted breadcrumb and mix.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb parmesan mixture to cover mac and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes, then switch to broil for 2 minutes to crisp top.
- MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!!! ENJOY
There you have it. Nice and simple. I hope you all enjoy it and please let me know what you think when you do. Until next time, this is Jason “MaurPowerFoodie” Maur signing off.