Looking for a fun night out this week? Come join me this Wednesday at Tavern in Monroe, CT for the Two Roads Tap Takeover. The first of what is planned to be many tap takeovers, this features a flight of 4 different Two Roads Beers and a small plate to go with each one for just $22.00.
Four beers, mac and cheese, shrimp, smoked salmon and fried fish! What more could you ask for?
There will be open seating but Tavern is suggesting you make reservations. Call 203-880-5007. Also check out the Facebook event here.
Hope to see you there, but if I don’t, no worries, I will be telling you all about it. Till next time, this is Jason “MaurPowerFoodie” Maur, signing off.
Don’t forget to tune in tomorrow, Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 6:30 AM on both 99.1 WPLR and 95.9 the Fox or you can watch it on Chaz and AJ TV at http://www.wplr.com/ChazandAJTV.aspx. I will be bringing along my Bacon Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese!
If you can’t tune in, don’t worry, I am posting the recipe below!
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 cups milk
2 or 3 sprigs thyme
3 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup smoked cheddar, shredded
1 1/2 cup pepper jack, shredded
2 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
Freshly ground black pepper
6 slices THICK CUT bacon
1 cup seasoned bread crumb
- First thing is to pan cook your bacon starting in a COLD pan so as to render the fat from the bacon. Once the bacon is complete, put the pan with the rendered bacon fat to the side and chop bacon.
- While bacon is cooking, bring pot of water to a boil and salt with 1 tbs of kosher salt. Whisk until salt is dissolved and slightly reduce heat.
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil pasta to just under a nice al dente (about 6 mintues). DO NOT OVERCOOK as pasta will continue to cook in oven. Drain and set aside.
- While Pasta is boiling it is time to make the sauce. First, on hot stove, make a simple roux by taking 1 tbs of rendered bacon fat and 2 tbs of butter, melt in sauce pot, once melted add 3 tbs of flour and whisk to combine.
- Add and sautee smashed garlic and chopped jalapenos. Continue to whisk for 1-2 minutes.
- Immediately add 4 cups of milk, continuing to whisk as milk heats to a simmer.
- Add shredded cheese (not the parmesan), continuing to mix until cheese is fully incorporated into sauce.
- Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- In a casserole dish combine pasta, chopped bacon, and most of remaining bacon fat (leave a little in the pan).
- Pour sauce over pasta and mix, making sure sauce is equally distributed throughout pasta.
- Add generous sprinkle of Old Bay Seasoning and mix again.
- In the pan with the remaining bacon fat, over medium-low heat, toast breadcrumbs and shred parmesan into toasted breadcrumb and mix.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb parmesan mixture to cover mac and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes, then switch to broil for 2 minutes to crisp top.
- MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!!! ENJOY 🙂
There you have it. Nice and simple. I hope you all enjoy it and please let me know what you think when you do. Until next time, this is Jason “MaurPowerFoodie” Maur signing off.
HELLO WORLD! Sorry for the hiatus, but I am back and have a lot of catching up to do. Recipes to post, reviews to share, a brewery tour, and tales from my European Adventure…. BUT, first and foremost, MaurPowerFoodie will be marking its return with a guest appearance on the Chaz and AJ in the Morning with my style Bacon Mac & Cheese. For those of you who have seen me cook with bacon, you know there is a MaurPowerFoodie twist in there, so tune in to hear all about it.
I will be visiting Chaz and AJ Wednesday November 27th at 6:30 AM EST on both 99.1 WPLR and 95.9 the Fox or you can watch it on Chaz and AJ TV at http://www.wplr.com/ChazandAJTV.aspx.
As I said, tons of great stuff to come, tune in and find out. Until next time, MaurPowerFoodie is signing out.